Sunday, September 19, 2010

Citizenship Ceremony

Today is the culmination of my journey in becoming a new citizen of my adopted country, a journey that took slightly less than a year.  Of course, the preamble to this short journey began 28 years ago.  However, when I first came to this island nation as a student, it certainly did not once cross my mind that this will be the land whose passport I will bear.  But here I am.

The citizenship ceremony was one of many held throughout the country on this day.  It was a simple, yet very Singaporean experience.  Upon registration, I received a ‘goody bag’, like the ones I give out for my son’s birthday to all his guests on his birthday party.  The program proper started with 2 propaganda films, ‘propaganda’ because it was certainly meant to whip up emotions.

This was followed by a short speech by a Member of Parliament who was the Guest of Honour.  He proceeded to present the citizenship certificate and Identity Card to each of us on stage.  There were in all close to 300 percipients.

At the end, a small makan session.  Food-wise, it was OK.

So, that was it.  From this point hence, I am a true blue (or red) Singaporean.

However, that was not it actually.  Roughly two years from now, I will have to collect my Renunciation Certification from the Malaysia High Comm and to present it to the Singapore Immigrations.  Hope I remember to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment